A 44-year-old man has been arrested after shots were fired in central Dunedin earlier on Monday, as police continue to search for another man believed involved in the incident.
Police, including members of the Armed Offenders Squad, were called after three shots were fired in a residential street late on Monday morning.
A police spokeswoman said no one was injured during the incident.
"Initial information suggests the incident involved parties known to each other, and at this stage police do not have concerns for the wider public," she said.
Witnesses at the scene, at the intersection of Manor Place and Melville Street, said they heard gunshots about 11.10am and saw two men wearing masks.
Police arrived about five minutes later, cordoning off the intersection and taking statements from people.
Police cordoned off Carroll Street, between Melville Street and Hope Street, while the Armed Offenders Squad worked in the area.
Three shell casings lying in Manor Place, downhill from the roundabout, had road cones placed over them by police, a witness said.
Armed police swooped on two areas of the city - a property in Oxford Street, South Dunedin, at 11.40am and later one in Carroll Street about 3pm, a block away from where the shots were fired.
The men whom police were searching for were not found at either property and no items of interest recovered.
However, a police spokeswoman said on Monday night that a 44-year-old man had been arrested.
He had been charged with discharging a firearm to intimidate and would appear in the Dunedin District Court on Tuesday.
Police were still seeking another person in relation to the incident, she said.
This story was originally published by