Police have removed protesters from the Transmission Gully motorway after they blocked traffic during morning rush hour.
Passenger rail protesters sat on southbound lanes of the motorway at Judgeford, Porirua, bringing traffic to a standstill.
Police initially moved protesters to one side of the motorway and handcuffed them to a barrier to allow traffic to use one lane, before fully reopening the motorway about 9.15am.
The Restore Passenger Rail group said a dozen people aged from 22 to 81 were involved and some had glued their hands to the tarmac.
Spokesperson Rosemary Penwarden said some drivers had shouted abuse, but there had been no physical violence.
Police said they arrested 11 people, who due to appear in Porirua District Court on Wednesday charged with tresspass and criminal nuisance.
Inspector Nick Thom said said police received multiple calls about 7.30am after two vans carrying protesters stopped in the southbound lanes, blocking traffic.
"Acts like this are not lawful, and put the lives of the protesters and other motorists at risk," he said.
"While police responded immediately and began clearing the road, some of protesters had unfortunately glued their hands to the road, further delaying traffic and taking up police time."
The group has conducted a number of similar protests on Wellington roads over the past week, claiming to want passenger rail services restored to year-2000 levels.
Yesterday Wellington's Mount Victoria tunnel was closed when protesters abseiled down one side and hung a sign above traffic lanes.