1 Nov 2021

Covid-19 breach: Man arrested over Auckland Domain gathering

3:32 pm on 1 November 2021

Police say they have started enforcement action after the gathering held at the Auckland Domain on Saturday.

No caption

Photo: RNZ / Claire Eastham-Farrelly

Up to 5000 people gathered at the Auckland domain and some marched through Newmarket on Saturday while Auckland remained at alert level 3, step 1, with limits on gatherings over 10 people.

In a statement, police said a 36-year-old man had been arrested and charged with Failing to Comply with Order (Covid-19) in relation to attending a gathering at the Auckland Domain and subsequent march through Newmarket on Saturday.

The man is to appear in the Auckland District Court tomorrow where he will face a total of three counts of Failing to Comply with Order (Covid-19) relating to previous events.

"Our enforcement phase remains ongoing and we cannot rule out further charges," Superintendent Shanan Gray said.

"Police reiterate our disappointment in the actions of the organisers of this event, who went ahead despite police warning them that the gathering was a breach of the current restrictions," Gray said.

Gray said further updates would be provided once they became available.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs