The West Indies men's cricket team will be denied further training privileges after breaking managed isolation rules inside their Christchurch facility, the Ministry of Health says.
The ministry said all members of the cricket team, who were provided certain exemptions from managed isolation rules, would be denied further training privileges after breaking managed isolation rules.
The team, here to play New Zealand's Black Caps, is in the managed isolation facility at the Chateau on the Park in Christchurch.
"Following an investigation, members of the team were confirmed to have repeatedly broken managed isolation rules. Many of these incidents have been captured on CCTV and have also been reported by staff. The incidents include groups mingling and sharing food. It's important to note that all incidents occurred within the hotel facility and there is no risk to the public," the ministry said.
In a statement, NZ Cricket (NZC) said yesterday it was made aware that "some members" of the team had breached protocols.
"These incidents included some players compromising bubble integrity by sharing food, and socialising in hallways."
However, it said there was no indication that any of the members left the facility or any unauthorised person accessed it.
The squad had their final Covid-19 tests today and, results permitting, is scheduled to leave the facility on Friday. They'll be heading to Queenstown ahead of two matches against New Zealand A.
"As with other sports teams that have come to New Zealand, the West Indies cricket team were given certain exemptions from the managed isolation rules which apply to everyone else. This included being able to be in larger bubbles and train in preparation for their international games," Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said.
Dr Bloomfield said it was a privilege to come here but in return they had to stick to the rules.
"Keeping Covid-19 out of our communities and keeping our staff safe depends on it. They didn't do that, despite agreeing to abide by the parameters of the exemption."
Dr Bloomfield said the team's exemption had been revoked and the team would spend the remainder of their time in managed isolation and they would not be able to train.
"Evidence will be provided to Cricket West Indies to conduct its own investigation, and any disciplinary action it may consider appropriate," Dr Bloomfield said.
The team were discussing next steps with NZ Cricket.
NZC said it was supportive of the ministry, and public health and safety was the focus in hosting overseas teams.
"NZC will continue working with the West Indies team and management, and relevant government agencies, to ensure there is no repeat of these violations."
One new case in managed isolation today
There is one new case of Covid-19 in a quarantine facility today.
The Ministry of Health provided today's update in a statement, and said there were no new community cases.
It said today's case arrived on 3 November from Romania via Qatar and Australia. "They are a family member of a previous case from managed isolation and had already been transferred to the Auckland quarantine facility."
One previously reported case has now recovered, so there are 52 active cases of Covid-19 in the country, the ministry said.
The total number of confirmed cases is 1632.
There were 5995 Covid-19 tests completed yesterday, bringing the total number of tests completed to date to 1,148,933.
Yesterday, there was one new case of Covid-19 in managed isolation.
The NZ Covid Tracer app now has 2,348,900 registered users.
On N95 masks in managed isolation and quarantine facilities, the ministry said it was working to update its advice around access.
November quarantine cluster
The ministry said a review of footage has not identified a connection between Case A, a quarantine worker at Auckland's Jet Park facility who tested positive, and the returnees who have a similar genome.
"No other cases have this genome sequence, and all staff at the Auckland quarantine facility have returned a negative result to date. The investigation is ongoing into how transmission occurred."
All occupants of Case A's accommodation have returned negative test results, it said.
"Genome sequencing for Case B matched that of Case A, confirming transmission of Covid-19 from the first New Zealand Defence Force worker to the second."
Of 58 close contacts identified for Case B, 56 have returned a negative result. The remaining two are pending, the ministry said.
- If you have symptoms of the coronavirus, call the NZ Covid-19 Healthline on 0800 358 5453 (+64 9 358 5453 for international SIMs) or call your GP - don't show up at a medical centre