One person has been taken to hospital and an entire floor evacuated after a spillage of what's thought to be battery acid in a central Wellington office block.
Fire and Emergency said it was called to 125 The Terrace after two people received burns and irritiation while opening a package.
The substance is thought to have been spilt in transit.
Several fire engines were on the scene including a hazardous materials and a breathing apparatus unit.
Fire and Emergency said there was no risk to the public and the spill had been contained.
The injured person was taken to hospital with an eye contamination.
People were asked to avoid The Terrace.
Assistant Area Commander Michael Dombroski said there would be an investigation into the cause of the spill.