Man found guilty for physically, sexually abusing girlfriend

2:41 pm on 23 October 2020

A man accused of physically and sexually abusing his ex-girlfriend has been found guilty on all of the charges he faced.

No caption

Photo: Rafael Ben-Ari/Chameleons Eye/ 123rf

The defendant, who has interim name suppression, was on trial before Justice Brewer in the High Court at Auckland this week.

He pleaded not guilty to two charges of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection, three charges of male assaults female, two of assault with a weapon and one of threatening to kill.

Justice Brewer delivered his verdicts this morning, finding the man guilty of each of the eight criminal charges.

At trial the man denied subjecting the woman to an escalating period of physical and sexual violence during their six month relationship, but the judge's verdicts mean he found the Crown had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

The woman gave harrowing evidence of being slapped, pushed and threatened with knives during her relationship with the man.

She said they had hit it off after meeting in late 2016 and were an item within a few weeks, which was also around the time he started asking for money.

The court heard she lost more than $10,000 in savings paying for their joint rent, expenses and through direct bank transfers to the man.

The woman said the first time the man hit her, he slapped her across the face and went on to push and shove her during fights.

She said he would hold knives to her throat, sometimes his own, and would also lock her outside on their balcony, away from her phone, at night.

The court heard about one night the woman said he tried to kill her; chasing her with a knife before putting her in a choke hold and demanding oral sex.

She said he threatened to kill her and her family if she did not comply and went on to force her to perform other sexual acts against her will.

The man, represented by Belinda Sellars QC, admitted he abused the woman both financially and emotionally but denied any physical or sexual violence.

He will be sentenced in the High Court at Auckland on 20 November.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs