30 Dec 2019

Christchurch airport evacuated over toilet bin fire

12:02 pm on 30 December 2019

Staff were evacuated from Christchurch International Airport this morning after a small fire in a toilet rubbish bin.

Christchurch International Airport.

Christchurch International Airport. Photo: 123rf.com

Security staff extinguished the flames in the international departure area.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesperson said the fire was caused by a cigarette butt.

A Christchurch airport spokesperson said there were no travellers there at the time.