It has been a day of wild weather, there's still no road connection from Timaru north to Christchurch, an estimated 970 people are stranded in Franz Glacier and in the north 12 people had to be rescued from a Lower Hutt campsite after a stream flooded.
- Both bridges over the Rangitata River will remain closed for a second night.
- A state of emergency remains in place for the Timaru district and it will not be lifted until at least one bridge reopens.
- The government has set aside up to $50,000 to support farming communities in South Canterbury significantly affected by heavy rain and flooding.
- Torrential rain has caused landslips on numerous sections of State Highway 6 south of Hokitika in the region. The highway remains closed between Haast and Harihari.
- About 970 tourists stranded in Franz Josef are waiting to hear when the road will re-open after being pounded by huge amounts of rain since Friday night.
- Heavy rain in the Wellington region has led to road closures and the evacuation of a campsite in Lower Hutt.