2 Aug 2019

Coroner warns about LPG heaters after 94yo's death

7:31 pm on 2 August 2019

A coroner reporting on the death of a 94 year-old Christchurch man has issued a warning about LPG heaters in homes, saying his death could have been avoided.

LPG gas heater

(file photo) Photo: 123RF

Retired builder Albert Wylie died in his St Albans flat in July 2015 of carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty LG heater.

Coroner Brigitte Windley said people should familiarise themselves with the safety warnings when using gas heaters.

She said families and caregivers of the elderly, and people with cardio-respiratory difficulties, could play a part in keeping such heaters safe.

Worksafe says cabinet heaters needed adequate fireguards and should be checked for leaks, serviced regularly, and only used in larger rooms and not in bedrooms or bathrooms.