Gasfitters are urging people to get their gas appliances serviced regularly, after an explosion that injured six people in Christchurch yesterday.
One house was destroyed and more than 20 others damaged by the blast in Northwood. Six people were injured with five of them still in hospital.
The industry body Master Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers said people should be assured that gas appliances are safe, and events of this nature are rare in New Zealand.
Nonetheless, the chief executive Greg Wallace said appliances must be serviced on an annual basis to ensure they are operating correctly - and that work should be done by an authorised gasfitter.
He has advised users to keep records of servicings, so they know when the work is due.