Police are investigating a fire at a Masterton motel which may have been started by a molotov cocktail.
The fire occurred about 10.15pm on Friday.
Police said a projectile was thrown at the reception area of the motel from the front lawn.
Motel owner Kylie Bell said CCTV footage showed something bright was thrown at the reception area, which then exploded.
She said it appeared to have been a glass bottle filled with some type of accelerant, which did not impact the building.
Police wish to hear from any witnesses who were near the motel at the time of the fire.