27 May 2019

Clothes dryer fire disrupts Wellington traffic

4:47 pm on 27 May 2019

A clothes dryer stuffed with towels was responsible for a small fire which disrupted traffic in central Wellington today.

A firefighter on scene at an incident. 6 July 2016.

Photo: RNZ / Claire Eastham-Farrelly

The fire started in the top floor of a five-storey apartment building in Boulcott Street about 3.15pm.

Residents managed to get themselves out before firefighters arrived.

Senior station officer Brendon Wood said seven fire trucks attended the blaze.

"The clothes dryer was filled up to capacity with towels and there was no ventialtion space for the towels to cool down as they were drying so they've overheated and ignited.

"The dryer's had its last day, it's dried its last towel, however it's out on the deck, it's been extinguished, there's no chance of it reigniting."