Two-storey building catches fire in Motueka

9:40 am on 18 April 2019

Part of the roof of a building that caught fire in Motueka has collapsed before firefighters could contain the blaze.

Fire truck

(File photo). A firefighter suffered heat exhaustion at the scene of a fire in Motueka. Photo: RNZ / Richard Tindiller

The fire in the two-storey Ag First building on the town's High Street started about 4am.

Crews were on the second floor of the building when the roof collapsed, but nobody was harmed.

One firefighter has been treated by ambulance staff after suffering from heat exhaustion.

Crews from Nelson were brought in to help fight the blaze.