7 Jan 2019

One injured in Christchurch garage fire

5:36 am on 7 January 2019

A person has been treated for smoke inhalation after a garage fire in Christchurch early this morning.

Fire and Emergency shift manager Daryl Ball said the garage was built within the walls of a Montreal Street house and when crews entered they found it fully ablaze.

He said the fire had been suppressed but firefighters remained at the scene to handle hot spots.

Mr Ball says one occupant of the house suffered some smoke inhalation and was treated by ambulance staff.

A fire truck set up at the base of Waimarama Rd.

Photo: RNZ / Claire Eastham-Farrelly