27 Nov 2018

Man killed in Darfield shooting incident was a 'good bloke'

2:23 pm on 27 November 2018

A former rugby friend of the man who died after being shot at by police in Canterbury has described how he was having a difficult time.

Bangor Road remains shut in Darfield this morning.

Bangor Road remains shut in Darfield this morning. Photo: RNZ / Jonathan Mitchell

On Sunday, Donald Ineson fired shots at his family before running down a police officer in his car.

Mr Ineson was shot at by police before being found dead in his car.

Police have not said whether they fired the fatal shot.

Former South Canterbury rugby coach Barry Matthews said he and Mr Ineson played about 24 games together for South Canterbury before Mr Ineson moved to the Mackenzie Rugby Football Club.

He said it was a huge shock when he found out what had happened.

"Don was a good bloke when we played [rugby] with him and against him.

"We don't know the full story yet, but when someone fires shots with a gun and that type of thing, things aren't right."

Mr Matthews said Mr Ineson had a difficult year with his family. His mother was sick and he had an autistic child. Mr Ineson's father had also died recently.

"He's been through a tough time and obviously needed some help," he said. "He lost his father, three or four months ago. Don was very close to his father."

However, Darfield High School principal James Morris said some of the students felt unsafe since the shooting.

The school will be offering support to the students, he said, and it was a difficult time for everyone in the town.

"We're dealing with secondary school students, they're aware of what's in the media and obviously they talk with other people in the community," he said.

"When we see that there are students that perhaps need a bit of extra support then we've got guidance counsellors here at school that can work with them."

Mr Morris said Darfield is a small town and the community knows the family and the officer that was injured, so his goal is to make the students feel safe and reassured.

"There's a concern that's out there, but I think that we're a resilient community and we'll be out there to support the people who need it," he added.

Police said the injured officer has undergone surgery and is doing well.

The officer was run over by Mr Ineson, suffering multiple fractures.

He is in a stable condition at Christchurch Hospital being supported by family and police.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs