26 Oct 2018

One student seriously injured in explosion at De La Salle College in Mangere East

3:30 pm on 26 October 2018

Eight students and teachers have been injured - one seriously - after a barbecue exploded at De La Salle College in Auckland this morning.

De La Salle College in Mangere East.

De La Salle College in Mangere East. Photo: Google Maps

Emergency services were called to the school at 11.30am.

De La Salle College principal Myles Hogarty said five people were taken to Middlemore Hospital after the explosion.

Three boys aged between 15 and 16 received burns to their hair, while two teachers received minor burns, he said.

A faulty gas cannister on a portable barbecue exploded while the students were cooking sausages for an economics project, Mr Hogarty said.

St John Ambulance said one patient suffered serious injuries.

Mr Hogarty said parents had been contacted and the College Pastoral Care Team was providing support to students and staff.

Police said Worksafe, which investigates accidents in the workplace, had been notified.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs