11 Aug 2018

Eleven people taken to hospital after chemical spill

2:34 pm on 11 August 2018

Three firefighters hospitalised after working to clear up a chemical spill in Christchurch today are now able to go home.

No caption.

Argus Heating on Maces Road. Photo: RNZ / Rachel Graham

Fire and Emergency New Zealand said an organic peroxide was spilled at Argus Heating on Maces Road in Bromley at about 9.30am.

The firefighters were hospitalised as a precautionary measure

Eight other people were also taken to hospital.

One person was treated for moderate injuries, while the other 10 were treated for minor injuries at Christchurch Hospital.

The building was ventilated and given the all-clear early this afternoon.

The factory, which employs about 70 people, was evacuated this morning.

Argus Heating chief executive David Selway said the fire was caused when some organic peroxide come into contact with heat and caught fire, releasing white fumes.

Mr Selway said the damage to the factory appeared to be minor, but that would be assessed.

Five ambulance and seven fire crews attended the incident.