A man has been charged with murder following the death of a baby in Wellington.
The five-month-old boy died in Wellington Hospital yesterday.
The man, 31, has appeared in the Wellington District Court.
He is charged with murder and with wounding the boy with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.
The second charge relates to events said to have occurred over the last month.
Emergency services were called to an Upper Hutt address on Monday, where the boy was found with serious head injuries.
The baby underwent surgery, but died the following day.
A scene examination at the house where the baby was found injured is underway.
Judge John Macdonald suppressed the accused man's name and remanded him in custody to appear in the High Court next month.
The accused said nothing during his brief appearance, but waved to supporters in the public gallery as he left the courtroom.