23 Jun 2017

Teen jailed after car-jacking woman in Auckland

7:06 pm on 23 June 2017

A teenager who went on an Auckland-wide crime spree that included car-jacking a woman and leaving her hospitalised with a broken nose and concussion has been jailed.

Outside the Auckland District Court on Albert Street.

Auckland District Court Photo: RNZ / Claire Eastham-Farrelly

Lily Pritchard-Davis laughed and waved to friends as she sat in the dock at the Auckland District Court today.

The 18-year-old's lawyer arrived with a wad of 28 letters - one for each of her victims.

One of those victims was Nancy Voon. Ms Voon, who is in her 60s, had just arrived at the Lagoon Leisure Centre and was waiting in the carpark when Pritchard-Davis and her friend pulled up in a stolen Honda.

Pritchard-Davis' friend threatened Ms Voon with a screw driver before pulling her from the car and punching her in the face. She was also kicked.

Pritchard-Davis, who was on bail at the time, got in the driver's seat and the pair drove off, leaving Ms Voon with broken teeth, a broken nose and a severe concussion. Ms Voon had to spend days in hospital because of the attack.

Nancy Voon

Nancy Voon in hospital Photo: Supplied

Pritchard-Davis was on the run - there were warrants out for her arrest after she failed to turn up to court.

She continued to offend. Pritchard-Davis stole cars and was part of a group carrying out ram raids on petrol stations on the North Shore and Te Atatu for cigarettes.

There was also a spate of smashing glass shop fronts in Māngere and Onehunga.

She was also involved in a 40-minute chase by police.

When officers finally caught up with her, they found her at a Manurewa house. Pritchard-Davis locked herself in the bathroom before being dragged out.

Even once she was in handcuffs and in the back of the patrol car she leaned over and bit a female police officer on the arm. A Victim Impact Statement on the court file shows the officer thought Pritchard-Davis would take a chunk out of her arm. She had a nervous three-month wait while she waited for blood test results.

Pritchard-Davis later told police she was not worried about going to prison because it gave her notoriety with her mates.

Judge Ema Aitken said there was an order for $40,000 in reparation. That included damage to shop fronts, stolen cigarettes and other property, and the damage to stolen cars used in the ram raids - but Pritchard-Davis had no way of paying.

The judge also spoke about Pritchard-Davis' background. She said Pritchard-Davis' childhood as "less than ideal". She's the eldest of seven children. Her mother spent time in prison for the manslaughter of her younger sister.

Pritchard-Davis herself was passed around relatives before winding up in the care of Child Youth and Family. She attended 11 different primary schools, eventually dropping out of school at 15.

She ran away from home and spent time living on the streets. Judge Aitken said the young teenager was drinking heavily and using cannabis before turning to methamphetamine.

Pritchard-Davis' lawyer, Peter Dean, said his client was sorry for what she had done and was motivated to change.

Judge Aitken took time off for her early guilty pleas, her youth and remorse and sentenced her to four years and two months in prison.