The combustible aluminium cladding of the type implicated in a fire at a Melbourne apartment building is still sold widely in New Zealand.
However, the former owner of a company which sold it here said New Zealand's strict building code meant it was safe.
Craig Webber, who sold Alucobest, said it could be installed only with a cavity between it and a concrete or fire-proof wall.
"So I actually have no concern at all that anybody would be in danger with this system that's made because, with our standards, it's foolproof that nothing can actually encroach into the interior of the building," he said.
Alucobest and identical products were sold and used worldwide.
An investigation into the fire at Melbourne's Lacrosse apartment block has found the external cladding breached combustibility standards for high-rise buildings.
It took just 11 minutes for the whole side of the building to ignite once the cladding caught fire.
A company importing aluminium cladding of the type blamed for a major fire at a Melbourne apartment building is investigating whether it might have been used incorrectly in New Zealand buildings.
The investigation into the fire at the Lacrosse apartment block has found the Chinese-made external cladding, Alucobest, failed Australian standards for high-rise buildings.
PSP Limited, which distributes the product in New Zealand, said wherever possible, the company ensured clients choose the right product for the right job, and installers are required to comply with the Building Code.
It said it was not aware of anyone installing Alucabest incorrectly, but was trying to find out.