5 Apr 2015

Mils Muliaina denies allegations

2:19 pm on 5 April 2015

The former All Black, Mils Muliaina, has denied allegations of sexual assault after being released on bail by the South Wales Police following his arrest.

Mils Muliaina

Mils Muliaina Photo: PHOTOSPORT

Muliaina was arrested in Britain yesterday in Gloucester after a game between Gloucester and his Irish team, Connaught.

His agent, Simon Porter, said Muliaina was in shock and concerned about the impact these allegations will have on people close to him.

"He's pretty upset - shocked. He denies any allegations of wrongdoing. He's going to ride out this processs and clear his name."

He said Muliaina would return to Ireland and was cooperating with investigations by the South Wales Police.

Police said the arrest was in relation to an allegation of sexual assault in Cardiff in March.

Footage shown by English media shows Muliaina being led out of a stadium in Gloucester by police after an away game for his Irish team, Connaught.

His rugby club confirmed his arrest last night, but is refusing to comment saying it was a legal matter.

The New Zealand Rugby Players' Association is criticising the public nature of Muliaina's arrest in Britain yesterday calling it unnecessary.

The association's executive director Rob Nichol said Mils Muliaina was not a particular risk and the manner of the arrest had brought unnecessary public scrutiny and pressure to the situation.

He said people should reserve judgement until the full details of the investigation became clear.

Inspector Andy Walbeoff issued a short statement on behalf of South Wales police.

"I can confirm that a man in his 30s was arrested at Kingsholm Stadium Friday the 3rd of April. On suspicion of sexual assault in relation to an incident in Cardiff in March of this year.

"The gentleman is currently en route from Gloucester to South Wales where the incident will be investigated."

Inspector Walbeoff said he cannot say much more at this stage.

"The gentleman has only been arrested on suspicion at the moment he hasn't been charged with anything. We can keep a detained person for 24 hours after which we must charge. Or take him before a magistrate for a further period of detention."

Details of the incident are unclear but the Irish Independent newspaper says the 34-year-old was arrested in connection with an alleged sexual assault.

It has published a picture it says was taken from Sky television news showing Muliaina being led away by the police.

Footage of Muliaina being arrested has been posted on Vine.

A correspondent with the Irish Independent newspaper, Ruaidhri O'Connor, said the arrest was a complete surprise.

He said the club have yet to comment but were not aware at the time of the reason for Mr Muliaina's arrest.

Muliaina played 100 tests for New Zealand before retiring from the All Blacks in 2011.