15 Jan 2015

Man electrocuted at campground

1:15 pm on 15 January 2015

Police say a 30-year-old man who tried to cut power to a caravan out of frustration , has died from an electric shock.

The incident happened at the Whangaruru Beachfront Camp, north of Whangarei in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Whangaruru Beachfront Camp.

Whangaruru Beachfront Camp. Photo: SUPPLIED

The police say it appears the man left his campsite at the Whangaruru Beachfront Camp, north of Whangarei, about half past midnight to approach a caravan where loud music was billowing from a stereo.

They say he attempted to cut the power cord to the caravan with a set of pliers but suffered an electric shock. His body was found at 3am yesterday.

Police spokesperson Sarah Kennett said it was believed the power cord carried about 240 volts.

She said the man had been holiday at the campground with his friend and his friend's father.

His death has been referred to the coroner.