Assessors charged with approving the Christchurch City Council's ability to issue building consents say it has made substantial progress within its consents department.
The council was stripped of its consenting authority in July 2013, following its slow handling of post-earthquake building consent applications.
It applied to International Accreditation New Zealand in May to restore its certification. Assessors have been on site auditing the department since earlier this month.
The council's chief executive, Dr Karleen Edwards, said on Monday that feedback on changes the department has introduced have been positive, but there are areas in need of more work.
IANZ chief executive Dr Llewellyn Richards said the assessment team had noticed a distinct change in the culture at the council.
More than $8 million has been spent on the overhaul, including the installation of a Crown Manager.