25 Jun 2014

Landlord sentenced over gas death

7:01 pm on 25 June 2014

A landlord has been sentenced to six months' home detention and ordered to pay reparation after illegally fitting a gas cooker which killed his tenant.

Lesley Wehi-Jack died after the cooker exploded in her home at Ruakaka in Northland in February.

Landlord Peter McLeod installed the appliance before she moved in. The law required it to be installed by a licensed gasfitter.

McLeod pleaded guilty to failing to take all practicable steps to ensure the cooker was installed safely.

He appeared in the Whangarei District Court and was sentenced to home detention and ordered to pay $5000 in reparation.