The Prime Minister says the Government is considering a Court of Appeal judgement that its compensation offer to a group of Christchurch landowners is unlawful. However, John Key can't say when a new offer will be made.
Members of the group known as the Quake Outcasts have uninsured or bare sections in red zone areas deemed by the Government as uninhabitable following damaging earthquakes.
In December last year, the Court of Appeal reaffirmed that the Government's offer of half the 2007 rateable value of their land is unlawful.
Justice Panckhurst agreed and ruled that the offer should be revised.
Quake Outcasts spokesperson Ernest Tsao said on Wednesday they had hoped for a new offer by Christmas and are suffering traumatic stress while the Government drags its feet.
Mr Tsao said lodging an appeal with the Supreme Court ensures that members have further recourse if the Government's offer isn't acceptable.
The group's lawyer Grant Cameron says key constitutional human rights and property rights are at stake and is confident of being allowed to appeal.