A High Court ruling has paved the way for protesters to continue legal action against the Auckland Council for evicting them from a public park.
Occupy Auckland protesters camped out in Aotea Square in the central city for two months over 2011 and 2012.
They were evicted in January last year after the council said they were causing too much damage and were intimidating the public.
The protesters said freedom of expression allowed them to demonstrate where they want.
In a ruling released on Wednesday, Justice Ellis said an earlier court ruling allowing the council to evict the protesters went too far.
The protesters' lawyer said both groups would have to review the ruling before making any decisions.
Ron Mansfield said this outcome is important and shows New Zealanders should always have the right to take part in peaceful protests.