5 Feb 2013

Man died from accidental overdose of BZP

11:25 am on 5 February 2013

A Coroner has found a Dunedin man died from an accidental overdose of the illegal synthetic drug, BZP, found in party pills.

David Crerar says Richard Paul Ennis was found dead when the ambulance arrived at his home in North Dunedin in December 2011.

A post-mortem showed that he died from significant levels of BZP, which was banned in 2008.

Mr Crerar says he asked police where the BZP could have come from, but they were unable to find the source.

He concludes that recreational drugs are not made to any legal standards and warns people to take only drugs which have been prescribed by a qualified medical practitioner.