21 Sep 2012

Firefighter hurt in Auckland blaze

4:18 pm on 21 September 2012

A firefighter was injured putting out an intense fire at a commercial building in central Auckland on Friday.

The fire, which started just after 9.30am in the Lahood curtain showroom, forced the closure of several businesses and part of one of the city's main arterial routes, Mt Eden Road.

The firefighter was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire Service acting area commander Steve Lakein says at the height of the fire 10 trucks and several special appliances were at the scene.

"It caused a bit of chaos locally with shops and cafe, and also with the apartment block behind the building."

Appliances were drawn from all over the city.

Lahood Window Furnishings owner Peter Lahood says he and six other staff hurried from the building when they detected smoke.

Mr Lahood hopes the business will be operating again next week, although most of the stock is not recoverable.

"I would guess most of that's a write-off. We're lucky a lot of our factories are not here. They're all in sites around Auckland and all our mobile people with design and window furnishings operate going round to people's homes so we'll find some temporary premises, and get business rolling again come Monday morning."

He says the business is fully insured.