11 Jul 2012

Kaikohe childcare centre gutted in blaze

9:54 pm on 11 July 2012

An electrical fault has been identified as the probable cause of a fire at a childcare centre in Kaikohe.

Thirteen children and eight adults were evacuated from the ABC Learning Centre in Park Road just after 9am on Wednesday.

No-one was injured, but the building is ruined.

The operations manager for ABC Childcare centres says the fire is believed to have started in wires underneath a stage.

Justine Johnson says they are working on getting a new centre operating as soon as possible.

The Fire Service is investigating.