The Philippines government says it could demand extra compensation for the families of its nationals who died in the collapse of the CTV building in last month's Christchurch earthquake.
China made a similar call for compensation for Chinese families who lost their only child in the disaster, but the New Zealand Government ruled out additional payments.
The charge d'affaires at the Philippines Embassy, Giovanni Palec, says compensation will be sought if any liability for the building's collapse is established.
Mr Palec says he has testimony from people who have studied in the CTV building that the structure was shaky before its collapse.
The Chinese government has said parents who lost their only child in the earthquake face financial hardship as they relied on their child to support them in retirement.
Pension schemes are limited in China, Auckland University lecturer Jian Yang says, and some parents will have borrowed money to send their children abroad to study.
Prime Minister John Key said on Tuesday the Government appreciates the issue, but there is compensation via ACC that applies to international citizens as it does to New Zealanders.