The couple appeared in the Christchurch District Court via audio-visual link. File photo. Photo: RNZ / Nate McKinnon
A Wānaka couple accused of defrauding family, friends and associates out of more than a $1 million through a fake cancer scam are now facing further charges.
Andrew Stewart Jones and Sepiuta Setaita Vave have been remanded in custody, facing multiple counts of obtaining by deception.
Police said the offending occurred over two years with the couple claiming the money was for treatment that was not needed.
Investigators had identified 10 potential victims.
The couple appeared in the Christchurch District Court via audio-visual link on Monday.
Vave pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The 38-year-old was remanded in custody and was due to reappear for a pre-trial call-over and case review on 25 September.
Jones, 28, did not enter a plea and would re-appear on 10 September.
Neither sought bail.
Police said the pair had moved from the West Coast to Wānaka and were living the high life in rented properties and driving high-end European cars.
Detective Senior Sergeant Shane Dye said four more potential victims had come forward and police had identified another three potential victims following publicity around the couple's arrest earlier this month.
"This is on top of the three people who had already made complaints to police and resulted in the arrests of the pair," he said.
As part of the investigation, police said they found weapons including a .22-calibre rifle and more than 2000 rounds of ammunition at a Wānaka storage unit.
Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.