Kevin Briggs is a former highway patrol officer whose intervention has prevented hundreds of people from taking their lives by jumping from San Francisco's most famous bridge.
Kim asked the self-styled 'Guardian of The Golden Gate Bridge' what his experiences have taught him about suicide, and empathy, and about the controversial construction of a giant stainless steel net to catch people falling from the bridge.
Where to get help:
- Need to Talk? Free call or text 1737 any time to speak to a trained counsellor, for any reason.
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354 - available 24/7 or text HELP to 4357
- Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) - available 24/7.This is a service for people who may be thinking about suicide, or those who are concerned about family or friends.
- Youthline: 0800 376 633
- Samaritans: 0800 726 666 - available 24/7
- Kidsline: 0800 543 754 - available 24/7
- Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 - available 24/7
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.