Asparagus, Kūmara and Potato Au Gratin
Serves: 2 mains or 4-6 sides
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 50-60 minutes
1 large kūmara, washed and peeled
1 large potato, washed and peeled
Bunch of asparagus spears, cut into three
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup of dried kawakawa
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Slice kūmara and potato into 3mm slices, then layer them into a baking dish, alternating with the asparagus spears and onion.
3. In a small pot, heat the olive oil and fry the garlic until it’s just starting to brown. Add the flour, salt and pepper. Whisk until there are no lumps.
4. Slowly drizzle in the milk while constantly whisking to make sure the mixture is smooth. Add in the dried kawakawa.
5. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
6. Pour the sauce on top of the layered vegetables, then sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
7. Bake for about 1 hour, until the top is bubbly and golden brown.
8. Sprinkle with your favourite garnish, then serve.
Strawberry and Coconut Smoothie
Preparation: 5 minutes
1 cup strawberries, hulled
1 banana, peeled
1 cup ice
2 cups coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
¼ cup coconut chips
2 tablespoons honey
Place all ingredients except coconut chips into a blender and blend until smooth
Pour into 2 cups and top with coconut chips and honey if desired