1 Apr 2022

First Covid-related death recorded in Samoa

9:41 am on 1 April 2022

Samoa has recorded its first Covid-19 related death.

Samoa's government orders two-day lockdown to roll out a mass Covid-19 vaccination drive. September 2021

(File photo) Covid-19 vaccinations being given in Samoa. Photo: RNZ Pacific/Autagavaia Tipi Autagavaia

The Ministry of Health confirmed a 67-year-old with multiple ailments died shortly after he was admitted to the Lalomanu District hospital on Upolu Island on Wednesday.

The death comes 13 days after the first community transmission case was detected.

The ministry said 172 new cases had been reported as of Thursday afternoon.

This brings the number of community cases recorded since March 17 to 1831 of which 1408 are active community cases.

Ministry data shows that 101 children under five have tested positive but the prevalence of infections is significantly higher among those aged from 15 to 35 and steadily increasing.

The ministry confirmed 20,643 rapid antigent tests had been administered since the first case was detected.

About 97 percent of community cases are in Upolu with the remaining 3 percent in Savaii.

There are no community cases recorded for the islands of Manono and Apolima Tai.

Quarantime time cut back

Samoa has reduced the quarantine time for visitors to seven days.

Passengers on a flight from New Zealand this week are the first to quarantine for a week rather than 14 days.

The Samoa Observer reports the Ministry of Health saying Cabinet decided to reduce mandatory quarantine time for the March 29 flight.

The ministry says the flights from Fiji and New Zealand the previous week still have to complete the 14 days quarantine.

About 220 passengers arrived on Tuesday from Auckland.