3 Jun 2019

Palau ready to allow Okinawa fishers to continue

4:24 pm on 3 June 2019

Palau wants to accommodate a Japanese request for Okinawa fishermen to continue fishing within its waters even after the implementation of the Palau National Marine Sanctuary next year.

69760535 - scenery of the fishing port

69760535 - scenery of the fishing port Photo: mtaira/123RF

Island Times reported the President Tommy Remengesau, Jr, saying Japan and Palau have a close relationship and his country wants to 'be able to accommodate whatever it can.

He said there are only about 15 family fishermen from Okinawa who are fishing within Palau's waters, who could be affected when the marine sanctuary takes effect.

Under the current marine sanctuary law, Palau will not allow fishing or mining within the 80% of its Exclusive Economic Zone from next year, while the remaining 20 percent will be open to domestic fishing only.