6 Mar 2017

Food sharing banned in Tongan village following typhoid case

12:15 pm on 6 March 2017

In Tonga, public gatherings and events where food is shared has been banned for a month in the village of Nakolo after a local was diagnosed with typhoid.

Radio Tonga says reports from Nakolo say the patient has been treated and locals are currently focusing on hygiene standards in the village.

The one month ban will end later this month.

Meanwhile another villager from Fanga has been diagnosed with typhoid.

Tonga's Information from the Ministry of Health says its continuing to screen the case before any ban is imposed in that village.

It says currently the focus should be on prevention including prioritising hygiene, cleaner environment for food preparation - and washing of hands at all times.