24 Sep 2012

Fiji searches for answers after Australian family experience horror holiday

5:00 pm on 24 September 2012

The Fiji Government has expressed its condolences to an Australian family who had a horror visit to the country during which their father died.

Clarissa Seeto's 73-year-old father passed away after suffering from what they thought was food poisoning.

Ms Seeto insists the Raffles Gateway hotel staff were unhelpful in finding medical treatment despite advertising 24 hour medical assistance.

After unsuccessful attempts to find a doctor, Ms Seeto's father Tom was put on a flight to Sydney, but it turned around when he became gravely ill.

He died soon after at a hospital in Nadi.

Alex Perrottet reports.

"The Fiji Government says it is trying to find out what happened to Ms Seeto's father and are speaking to those involved. They have expressed their sympathy, as have Air Pacific, which allowed the man on board the flight in his critical condition. They say while Air Pacific do meet all medical needs when advised beforehand, it is up to the passenger to decide if they are fit to travel at the time of boarding. The management of the Raffles Gateway Hotel in Nadi has not responded to repeated requests for its side of the story."