Zuppa de Fagioli (Borlotti Bean Soup)
- Do not add salt to the soup until after the beans are completely cooked or they will be tough.
- 1 cup dried borlotti beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 75 g pancetta, finely diced
- 4 coarse pure pork sausages sliced 2 cm
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 red capsicum, cored, seeded diced
- 250g pumpkin diced 2 cm, weighed after being peeled and seeded
- 2 zucchini, sliced 2 cm
- 400g can Italian tomatoes in juice, mashed
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons parsley.
- salt to taste
- freshly grated Italian parmesan
Soak the beans for 12 hours in plenty of cold water, rinse well, drain and reserve.
Preheat the oven to 200°C
Heat the oil in a large metal casserole over moderate heat.
Add the garlic, rosemary, pepper, pancetta, sausages, onion, celery, carrot, capsicum, pumpkin and zucchini, fry gently, for about 10 minutes, without browning, or until the onion is soft.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beans and water and bring to the boil.
Mix well, cover and place in the oven for 1 ½ hours or until the beans are very tender. Remove from the oven, mix well, taste and season well with salt.
Serve with plenty of freshly grated parmesan and crusty bread.
Suggested Wines to Go With Today's Recipe
Trinity Hill Gimblett Gravels
Luna Negra (Stonyridge)
Ascension The Steep Bit Matakana
Moana Park Vineyard Tribute
Ornellaia Le Volte 03
Villa Cafaggio Chianti Classico 03