Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 2 large red outdoor tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, peeled and stone removed
Cook the sweet corn in plenty of boiling water for 10-20 minutes (allow 10 minutes or less for fresh-picked cobs and 20 minutes for cobs which have been picked a day or two). Drain and drape with a piece of absorbent kitchen paper (this keeps in steam and keeps the kernels moist and plump - they dry and turn wrinkly otherwise). When cool enough to handle, slice off the kernels and transfer to a platter.
Cut the tomatoes into quarters, cutting out the cores, and flick out as many seeds as possible. Cut the flesh into dice, put in a sieve and leave to drain for 10 minutes.
Mix the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, shallot and basil together in a bowl. Top the sweet corn with the drained tomatoes and diced avocado and pour on the whisked dressing. Give a gentle stir to amalgamate, then serve immediately.