Ti’a Moana Tuna
- 2cm-thick, round slice of fresh pineapple, skin and core removed
- ½ C cider vinegar infused overnight with 1 split vanilla bean
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander stems plus a few leaves
- 1 sml garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp finely chopped mild chilli
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 4 x 150 gm slices yellowfin or big eye tuna loin
- (preferably from the narrower end of the loin so that the slices are thick)
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns, roughly crushed using a mortar and pestle
- olive oil for cooking
- lime wedges to serve
Chop the pineapple into small pieces and place in a non-reactive mixing bowl. Stir in two teaspoons of the vanilla vinegar, setting the remainder aside for other recipes.
Stir the coriander, garlic, chilli and extra virgin olive oil into the pineapple mixture. Season with a little salt and set aside.
Spread the pepper on a small plate and roll the sides of each slice of tuna in the pepper to coat.
Add a little olive oil to a hot cast-iron pan and add the tuna. Sear on each side for about 30 seconds, then brown the peppered sides for about another 60 seconds.
Spoon some pineapple salsa on to each dinner plate then place a piece of peppered tuna on top. Serve immediately with lime wedges to squeeze over.