The Stewart Family Chowder
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 - 3 rindless bacon rashers, diced
- 2 lge onions, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 - 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 5 C water
- 1 C milk
- 1 C cream
- 700 gms firm-flesh white fish such as groper (hapuku) or blue cod, cubed
- ¾ C finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1½ tsp flaky sea salt
In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the bacon, onion and bay leaf and cook until the onion is soft and transparent.
Add the flour and combine well, stirring for two to three minutes over a medium heat until the flour smells nutty.
Add the potatoes and celery and toss around in the saucepan until they are coated with the onion mixture.
Add the pepper and water, cover with a lid and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the potatoes are cooked but still retain their shape.
Pour the milk and cream into the saucepan and stir until just below boiling point.
Add the fish and parsley. Stir frequently, making sure that the chowder does not boil.
Check that the potatoes and fish are cooked, add salt to taste and serve immediately.