Tea Smoked Oysters and Salmon with Watercress Salad
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 5 - 10 minutes
- 12 oysters on the shell
- 600 g salmon, cut into six pieces and pin-boned
- 300 g watercress, leaves picked
- lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- 1 tablespoon black tea leaves
- 1 tablespoon herbal tea (e.g, an earthy, spicy herbal tea such as cardamom & cinnamon)
- 2 tablespoons dried orange peel
- 4 tablespoons jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 star anise
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
Line a wok or stir-fry pan with two thicknesses of foil. Place smoking mixture on top and place over high heat. Cover and when it starts to smoke place a rack and salmon on top.
Cover tightly again, reduce heat to low and allow to smoke for 4 minutes. Remove lid quickly and add oysters. Cover quickly again and smoke for 2 more minutes. The salmon should be hot, cooked at the edges but pleasantly pink inside.
Meanwhile, place cider vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk or shake in a jar until combined.
Toss watercress leaves with cider vinaigrette and distribute amongst serving plates. Top each with two oysters, one piece of salmon and a lemon wedge if desired.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
Palliser Estate Methode Traditionelle 2007