Sweet Cherry Compote
- 500ml (2 cups) pinot noir
- 150ml (2/3 cup less 1 tbsp) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 200ml black or redcurrant jelly (as in jelly preserves)
- 40g (4 tbsp) sugar
- 800g (120) cherries (fresh or frozen and pitted)
- 40ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) cherry brandy
Pour red wine, orange juice and jelly into a small non-reactive saucepan and set over a low heat. Add sugar and stir over a low heat till sugar and jelly are dissolved.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes till reduced by one-third and syrupy.
Add cherries and cherry brandy and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes or till cherries are just beginning to soften. Cool.