Steamed Leeks with Boiled Egg, Anchovy and Caper Dressing
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 10 anchovy fillets
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 4 leeks, white part only, sliced on the diagonal 2cm thick
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flatleafed parsley or chervil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread for serving
Put the oil, vinegar and capers into a bowl. Mash two of the anchovy fillets to a paste with the garlic. Add to the oil mixture and mix well.
Stir in the eggs and olives, taste and season well.
Steam the leeks over high heat (or if you don’t have a steamer, simmer the leeks) for about 6-8 minutes until just tender.
Drain well and place on a warm serving platter.
Pour the egg mixture evenly over the hot leeks.
Place the remaining anchovy fillets at intervals on top.
Sprinkle with parsley or chervil and serve with bread as a first or main course.
Suggested wines to complement this recipe
Lobster Reef 2008
Spy Valley 2008