Spring Vegetable, Chicken and Lima Bean Soup
Spring chills and storms still create a need for a good hearty soup. Serve this soup with a croûton on top that is laden with Salsa Verde with Orange to make it outrageously filling and extra delicious.
- ½ cup lima beans, soaked overnight
- 4 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons mineral salt and 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4–5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 4 chicken tenderloins, cut into thirds (or shredded leftover chicken)
- 50g salami, diced
- 2 stalks silverbeet (Swiss chard) stems removed,
- cut into thick strips
- 2 dark outer leaves Savoy cabbage, cut into thick strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
Soak the lima beans the night before. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the carrot, onion and celery. Season liberally.
Add the measured water, lima beans and malt vinegar, bring up to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes before adding the chicken and salami. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
Add the silverbeet and cabbage and simmer until soft but still vibrant green. Stir through the dill before serving.
Takes 1 hour, plus soaking time.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
St. Clair Family Estate 2010