Spring Chicken and Asparagus Soup
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil, shredded, plus a few extra leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced
- 400g can butter beans
- 1 cup baby peas, fresh or frozen
Put the stock into a pan with the carrots. Cover and bring to the boil. Add the chicken, cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes, until carrots are tender and the chicken is cooked.
Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a bowl with the basil and lemon juice. Mix well.
Add the asparagus, beans and peas to the pan. Cover and bring back to the boil quickly over a high heat, then remove the lid and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove half the mixture and whiz in a blender, then tip back into the pan. Divide the broth among 4 bowls and top each with a spoonful of the basil sauce and extra basil leaves.
2010 Spade Oak Reserve