Spanish Broad Beans with Eggs & Ham
(Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side dish)
- 500 gms podded fresh broad beans, peeled if preferred
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 250 gms ham, cut into 2 - 3cm chunks
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt and grinds of pepper
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ C chopped parsley
- lemon wedges to serve
If the beans are large, shell them. You could also make this dish with frozen broad beans or soy beans.
Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pan and cook the onion over medium-low heat until softened and just starting to brown - about 15 minutes.
Add the broad beans, ham, zest and about half a cup of water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are cooked through - about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Mix through the eggs and parsley. Accompany with lemon wedges.