Scallops with Spaghetti and Salsa Cruda
- 75 mls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 6 vine ripened tomatoes, cored, diced 2 cm
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- ½ finely chopped red chilli
- 3 tablespoons coarsley chopped flat leafed parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 36 scallops, tossed in a little olive oil
- 500g Italian spaghetti
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves
Put the extra virgin olive oil, garlic, vinegar, red onion, olives, chilli and parsley in a bowl.
Taste and season with salt and pepper. Reserve for 10 minutes so that the juices of the tomatoes are drawn out by the salt. This is the Salsa Cruda or 'raw sauce'.
Heat a frying pan over high heat and panfry the scallops until just cooked through.
Meanwhile, boil the spaghetti in plenty of well salted water until al dente.
Drain well and add the rocket. Mix well so that the rocket wilts.
Put the hot spaghetti and rocket into a large warm serving bowl, add the scallops and tomato mixture and toss well.
John Hawkesby's wine suggestion
- Mills Reef Elspeth 2006
- Waimarie Muriwai Valley 2006
- Jacobs Creek 3 Vines 2007