Roast Pumpkin and Pancetta Risotto
- 500 gms butternut pumpkin peeled, seeded and cubed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 50 gms pancetta or streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 - 10 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 C vialone nano rice
- 4 C chicken stock, boiling
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ C grated parmigiano reggiano
- extra sage leaves, fried in a little oil until crisp, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the pumpkin in a roasting pan and drizzle with a little olive oil, turning to coat. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Add the pancetta towards the end and cook, but do not allow it to become crisp.
Heat a little olive oil in a large, heavy-based pot and stew the garlic, onion and sage slowly. Add the rice and stir for a few minutes until warm.
Add the boiling stock all at once. Bring to the boil, add the salt, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through. The mixture should still be sloppy, not dry, at this point.
Add the pumpkin and parmesan and fold through.
Season, rest for a few minutes and serve garnished with crisp sage leaves.