Simple things always sound better in a foreign language and this dish of 'Spring Rice' is no exception. Feel free to substitute any of the bounty from your spring garden to replace or in addition to the ones below.
- 200g Arborio rice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- half an onion, finely chopped
- small glass of white wine
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 3-4 asparagus spears
- 1 courgette diced
- 3-4 stringless beans
- 30g freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- 2-3 knobs of butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
1. Heat the chicken stock in a pan to a very gentle simmer.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large pan with a knob of butter. Gently fry the garlic and onion over a medium heat, until the onion is softened and translucent.
3. Add the rice and coat with the olive oil, garlic and onion mix. Cook for a minute or so.
4. Pour in the white wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Once absorbed, add a ladle of the simmering stock and cook until absorbed. Continue until all of the stock is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
5. Meanwhile, cut the asparagus, stringless beans and courgette into bite size pieces. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and then add the vegetables and cook for a 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Stir the remaining knobs of butter, 30g of parmesan cheese and the cooked vegetables into the risotto. Season to taste and serve with an extra grating of parmesan.